Sunday, July 24, 2011

The 2011 CBBF National Figure & Bikini Championships

This weekend was the 2011 CBBF National Figure & Bikini Championships in Saskatoon. Team Emerge members Simone (bikini) and Emily (figure) were there representing the team. Emily was looking to defend her national title from last year and to compete for an IFBB Pro card in Figure. Simone was there for the first time looking to win her class and compete for an IFBB Pro card in Bikini.

I spoke with both of them prior to the competition and there were both feeling pumped and ready to compete. Emily looked better than she did last year with significant improvements to an already very complete physique. Simone was bringing the same package that she brought a couple weeks ago to the OPA Henderson Thorne Natural Classic where she won the overall. On the morning of the show both girls expressed that they were physically and mentally ready for the stage.

During prejudging both girls were in the first call out for their classes and very confident about how they did. Simone and Emily both felt they had a very good chance of winning their class (although you never know what can happen) and were very eager to get back on stage to find out how they did.



I wasn't able to attend the show in person so I was anxiously waiting for updates once the evening show started. I got a phone call from Simone as soon as she stepped off stage, “I won my class! Gotta get back on stage for the overall!” A short and sweet phone call that left me happy for her that she won her first National title but nervous now that she was competing for the overall and a pro card. I didnt have to wait long for the second phone call, “I didnt win the overall” is what I heard and I was disappointed for Simone. She however was very upbeat about the experience and was already focused on competing at the North American Championships in Cleveland. “That's originally where you said you wanted me to win my pro card remember?” She was right, from the start everything we have done with her look was based on what the US judges are looking for.

After talking to Simone she went back to the competition to watch Emily's class and report back to me. Shortly after a text came through from Simone informing me that Emily came in 2nd place. In most circles 2nd place at a National show would be received with cheers as its a great achievement but I knew that wasn't going to be the case for Emily. Going into a competition that you won the year before and bringing an even better physique you expect to repeat. We expected Emily to come first and take the overall this year(like she should have last year) not to come in 2nd place.



My phone rang again and it was Emily on the other end. Without getting into the nitty gritty details I can say that Emily was quite upset by her placing. She has come in 2nd place at competitions in the past and been proud of the placing but this was not one of those times. Emily is the most laid back competitor that I have ever worked with and has always rolled with the punches but this show was different. After talking for a while she was slowly getting back to the Emily I enjoy working with.

I want Emily to refocus on joining Simone at the North Americans where she has done very well in the past. She is going to take some time to think about the next step before confirming one way or another which I totally agree with.

So, all in all it was technically a great show for Team Emerge, two competitors entered the competition and we came back with a 2nd place and a 1st place National Title. Honestly I thought we would be coming back with trophies but also two pro cards. Simone and Emily both looked amazing and represented for the team very well. I am proud to be associated with two top notch competitors and people. Great job ladies!

D

No comments: